[erlang-questions] Strings - deprecated functions

zxq9 zxq9@REDACTED
Fri Nov 24 14:37:11 CET 2017

On 2017年11月24日 金曜日 08:13:49 Eric des Courtis wrote:
> While I feel the pain of Joe having suffered countless hours fixing
> deprecation in various old libraries. I have to say there is something to
> be said for throwing things away.
>
> I can't help but think I can have my cake and eat it too. Maybe something
> like a transpiler to compile old Erlang to new Erland and keep the Erlang
> VM lean?

If the new functions did what the old functions do, then sure.

But that's not how thing have turned out.

On reflection, I actually think the new string functions should have
been rolled into a "utf8" module. Or something. And the "strings" module
could either have had implementation adjustments that use the utf8
utilities underneath or been left alone to deal with latin1 (but either
way be amply documented).

I'm the heaviest unicode string dealing guy I know. I'm SUPER happy that
the idea of "string" has been advanced (finally!) to mean "unicode strings".
But breakage is a thing, and Lloyd and Joe have a point.

-Craig