[erlang-questions] user agent parsing.

Leonard B leonard.boyce@REDACTED
Fri May 26 13:53:28 CEST 2017

Hi Max,

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 7:39 AM, Max Lapshin <max.lapshin@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a list of 250 000 of different useragents: not only browsers, but
> also devices and so on.
>
> I want to get operation system, kind of device, browser and version from
> them, so I need user agent parser.
>

> Right now I see two of them:
>
> https://github.com/ferd/useragent
> https://github.com/chitika/uaparser
>
> I have checked them and they cannot parse lot of my useragent strings.
>
> What is the proper way to go here:
>
> 1) try to edit these libraries?
> 2) take some service with API?
> 3) just try to put ad-hoc hardcoded strings that will cover 90% of my
> records?

We spent quite a bit of time evaluating various options and eventually
just bit the bullet and brought Elixir into the mix for UA parsing.
We've been using https://github.com/elixytics/ua_inspector for a few
months now and find it quite solid. It's rare it does not parse things
out correctly.
It uses the databases from https://github.com/piwik/device-detector