[erlang-questions] Why Data is needed in ets heir?

Sun May 21 13:31:31 CEST 2017

Hi,

When an ETS table is given away through an heir, the receiving process (of
the ETS table) receives a message of the form

{'ETS-TRANSFER',tid(),FromPid,HeirData}

The `HeirData` field allows you to send auxiliary information through to
the heir when the transfer happens. For instance some information about the
ETS table in question. Usually heir-transfer happens when a process
crashes, so you may not get a chance to send extra information through a
normal message. Furthermore, you would have to align two messages to each
other in the recevier which tend to be more complicated.