[erlang-questions] Erlang 20 and crypto:rand_uniform/2

Wed May 17 09:51:22 CEST 2017

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 12:16:32AM -0700, Richard Bowker wrote:
> Reposting, apologies, hadn't noticed it had switched to HTML mail.
>
> Rich

Not really.  The rand module replaced the random module, and from there
came no uniform/2 function. It did not exist since it is so simple
to do it yourself.

The function crypto:rand_uniform/2 was created from the underlying
libcrypto function, which has the Lo,Hi arguments.

There is so little gain in a uniform/2 function that I do not think it
is worth implementing.  Maybe arity 2 should be used for somehing completely
different as an option list, distribution type, or whatnot...