[erlang-questions] Erlang Install on i368-pc-sollaris2.10 issues (Updated)

Kelvin Poon (Scotiabank GBM) kelvin.poon@REDACTED
Mon May 8 19:11:16 CEST 2017

Hi,

I am running into an issue with an Erlang install on our Unix machine (Solaris 10).

Erlang version: R16B03
OS: Solaris 10
GCC: 4.8.2
GNU Make: 3.81

I am following the steps listed on the official install page:
https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/maint/HOWTO/INSTALL.md

I have unpacked the tar file from erlang.org, these are the steps I have followed:

export ERL_TOP=<my local directory where tar file was unpacked>/otp_src_R16B03
export DED_LD=gcc #using gcc located at /usr/sfw/bin/gcc
export PATH=/usr/sfw/bin:/usr/xpg4/bin/:/bin
export DED_LDFLAGS=-shared
./configure -prefix=<target erlang install directory>

Configuration finished with: (I can post the entire output if necessary)

**********************  APPLICATIONS DISABLED  **********************

odbc           : ODBC library - link check failed

**********************  APPLICATIONS INFORMATION  *******************

wx             : wxWidgets not found, wx will NOT be usable

**********************  DOCUMENTATION INFORMATION  ******************

documentation  :
                 fop is missing.
                 Using fakefop to generate placeholder PDF files.

---
Then I ran make as instructed in the install instructions

gmake #located at /usr/sfw/bin/gmake
The error I receive is:
/usr/ucb/install -c -d ../priv/lib/i386-pc-solaris2.10
gcc -shared -o ../priv/lib/i386-pc-solaris2.10/crypto.so ../priv/obj/i386-pc-solaris2.10/crypto.o  /usr/lib -L/usr/lib -lcrypto
ld: fatal: file /usr/lib: unknown file type
ld: fatal: file processing errors. No output written to ../priv/lib/i386-pc-solaris2.10/crypto.so
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I don't understand why the make file would produce such a command, why is /usr/lib targeted there? It looks like it is following the generated makefile from $ERL_TOP/lib/crypto/c_src/Makefile.in, the corresponding makefile contain this:

$(LIBDIR)/crypto$(TYPEMARKER).so: $(CRYPTO_OBJS)
        $(V_at)$(INSTALL_DIR) $(LIBDIR)
        $(V_LD) $(LDFLAGS) -o $@ $^ $(LDLIBS) $(CRYPTO_LINK_LIB)

Looks like something is wrong with the $LDLIBS variable. Does anybody know what's wrong?

Thanks
This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, do not re-send, copy or use this e-mail. Please also contact the sender immediately and delete this e-mail in its entirety. Privilege is not waived by reason of mistaken delivery to you. The Bank of Nova Scotia (Scotiabank) and its affiliates accept no liability whatsoever for loss or damage in relation to this e-mail and may monitor, retain and/or review email. Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the author and may not represent the opinions of The Bank of Nova Scotia (Scotiabank) and its affiliates. Trading instructions received by e-mail or voicemail will not be acted upon.

Pour obtenir la traduction en français: http://www.gbm.scotiabank.com/EmailDisclaimer/French.htm

Traducción en español: http://www.gbm.scotiabank.com/EmailDisclaimer/Spanish.htm