[erlang-questions] Exit signals are funny things

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Fri May 5 14:32:38 CEST 2017

Yes, and no. When a process dies with a reason then that reason is sent in
a signal to all the processes in the link set. So if the process dies with
the reason 'foo' then a 'foo' exit signal will be sent, and if I do exit/2
to send a 'foo' exit signal then a 'foo' exit signal will be sent. In both
cases, if the receiving process is not trapping it will die with the reason
'foo' [*] and if the receiving process is trapping then the exit signal
will be converted to a message with reason 'foo'. In both cases it IS a
'foo' exit signal.

However, if the exit reason is 'kill' then the 'kill' exit signal sent from
the process will be trapped while if it is sent with exit/2 it is not
trappable. THIS IS THE ONLY EXIT SIGNAL WHICH BEHAVES DIFFERENTLY! [**]

Again where's the logic in that? Why the inconsistency? We tried hard back
in the old days to be consistent.

Robert

* As 'foo' is not the value 'normal' it will kill the process.
**Sorry of raising my voice.