[erlang-questions] Erlang/OTP interpreter (erl) not found butrequired

Abhishek Ranjan abhishek@REDACTED
Wed May 3 15:27:51 CEST 2017

I did an uninstall of the previous version of erlang and the ./configure gave following errors

[ec2-user@REDACTED ejabberd-17.03]$ sudo ./configure
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for erl... no
checking for erlc... no
checking for epmd... no
checking for erl... no
configure: error: Erlang/OTP interpreter (erl) not found but required

and that is why I was suspecting that whenever I run the ./configure command the script goes to
/usr/bin
and search for erl ,erlc....etc
That is why I asked that is there any way that I can set my erl path to /usr/bin which is currently gives that following path on "which erl"
~/kerl/17.1/bin/erl

or should I install erlang again. if so can anyone tell me how to make the erl path specifically such that it points to /usr/bin and still the erlang shell works on typing erl alone?