[erlang-questions] simple virtual file system in Erlang?

lloyd@REDACTED lloyd@REDACTED
Mon Mar 27 22:52:52 CEST 2017

Hi all,

This is flying over my head, but sounds super interesting.

How I'd love to see a tutorial that demonstrates a simple application based on upspin.

Jesper, I know you're hyper busy, but I ask stupid questions can you help sketch out such a tutorial?

Many thanks,

LRP

-----Original Message-----
From: "Jesper Louis Andersen" <jesper.louis.andersen@REDACTED>
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2017 4:35pm
To: "Joe Armstrong" <erlang@REDACTED>
Cc: "Erlang-Questions Questions" <erlang-questions@REDACTED>
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] simple virtual file system in Erlang?

> Somebody  tweeted me me a link to upspin.io
>
> https://upspin.io/doc/overview.md
>
> This has a very good way of naming files - well worth reading

Upspin does two things right:

1. It uses protobufs for its protocol on top of a simple HTTP layer:

https://github.com/upspin/upspin/blob/master/upspin/proto/upspin.proto

(it is very close to UBF in many ways)

2. It exposes file systems, not final solutions, through Key, Directory and
Storage servers.

The latter is especially powerful. It means you can evolve the system as
long as it fits inside the rules of a file-system-like object. It abstracts
the problem away and provides just a protocol for a client to follow.

The naming scheme in Upspin is indeed brilliant since it allows everyone
their own name space.

As a side note: you don't need something like hex.pm if you have something
like upspin. Really, all you have to provide is a nice UI layer and the
underlying data layer will take care of the rest of the stuff.