[erlang-questions] simple virtual file system in Erlang?

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Sun Mar 26 17:31:44 CEST 2017

Yes - mapping the path to a content addressable store address would be
great. It would also be great in a wider context.

A fun extension would be to add a an http interface. Something like

   POST <blob>

To store <blob>,  then later

   GET /blob/sha256/<SHA>

to recover the blob. <SHA> is the SHA256 checksum of the data (the
path contains the
type of the checksum - so you might say GETblob/md5/<MD5CHECKSUM>

then add a DHT - then run on every webserver on the planet
then store all data forever.

The nice thing about this is that it's self-securing - a person-in-the-middle
cannot change the data without it being detected (since you can check
the SHA of the
data when you get it back)

Such a system has three relatively simple layers

- transport (say HTTP over TCP)
- DHT
- storage

If you ask Jesper nicely he'll tell you all about DHT's :-)

Have fun with the storage layer for this (and no it's NOT a toy project)

/Joe