[erlang-questions] origin of handle_info/2

Richard Carlsson carlsson.richard@REDACTED
Thu Mar 16 23:10:59 CET 2017

It's "info" in the sense of "any other messages to this process, that are
not recognised as special OTP framework messages". When you use a function
like gen_server:call(...), the OTP libraries wrap your message in a way
that lets the receiving server process see that it is a part of the OTP
framework and redirects it to the standard callbacks like handle_call() or
handle_cast(). If you just send a message to the gen_server process with
the ! operator, it will not have the right wrapper, and will be dispatched
to handle_info(). Typical uses of info messages are timeouts and other
"note to self" style messages.

        /Richard