[erlang-questions] Cleaning up the dialyzer interface

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Wed Mar 8 06:17:25 CET 2017

On 03/06/2017 04:17 PM, Robert Virding wrote:
> Is anyone working on cleaning up the dialyzer interface? It does some strange things like for no discernable reason requiring all files to be either .erl files or .beam files and not allowing a combination. Also it it is not in any way extensible.

It might be better to consider removing the dialyzer interface and just focus on making the command-line use of dialyzer as efficient as possible, so it may always be part of per-commit regression testing.  The dialyzer UI interface is attempting to promote manual use of dialyzer, which isn't a common use-case.  Also, often UI creates development burden that leads to source code becoming more inefficient (like comparing Thunderbird and mutt for email).  While it is easy to expect a perfect outcome with a UI implementation, I don't believe it is realistic or helpful for normal (required/critical) use of dialyzer.

Best Regards,
Michael