[erlang-questions] How do mailboxes relate to reduction counts?

Dmytro Lytovchenko dmytro.lytovchenko@REDACTED
Sun Mar 5 20:07:10 CET 2017

Increased cost to send to larger mailboxes is a sort of simple approach to
work balancing. The idea is that if mailbox of some process grows, we
should (naively) try and skew scheduling in such a way so it gets more
processing time to clean up that mailbox. So we increase the cost of
sending to it, and this makes senders schedule out faster and wait for
their turn longer (as they get shorter time to run). This in theory might
make the "busy" process with the large mailbox get more CPU and fix the
problem faster.

Of course this *naive *approach won't work if the mailbox grows because the
receiver ignores new messages. Such system is sick and must be debugged and
code must be modified so that extra messages are flushed (dropped).
This is *artificial
*feature, as sending is a very cheap operation.

Increased cost of receive is another thing, and indeed it depends on how
many instructions are executed to scan and find the right message in *selective
*receive.