[erlang-questions] setting up a VPS for dedicated erlang server

Nathaniel Waisbrot nathaniel@REDACTED
Wed Mar 1 00:52:07 CET 2017

> In my experience cheap VPS services tend to be flaky. Amazon offers EC2 instance for free for one year. I doubt you can get a more reliable setup for the price.

The free tier is nice if you're interested in getting into Amazon (it's a frequently requested resume item). But I used the "free" tier, thought I was being careful, and got slapped with $60 in charges from network traffic before I could shut things down. There is no way to tell Amazon "I would rather go offline than pay $x", so a misconfigured cron job or traffic spike (DDoS?) that happens while you're asleep is basically guaranteed to cost you.