[erlang-questions] Programming Erlang: Chap 18, Websockets

Anthony Ramine n.oxyde@REDACTED
Thu Jun 29 14:37:11 CEST 2017

> Le 26 juin 2017 à 12:28, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> a écrit :
>
> But there is a deeper issue - the websockets standard *changed* so
> even if I pointed to a version of cowboy/ranch (whatever) that I
> tested against in 2013 it still would not work - to get it to work
> you'd have to get a browser from 2013 and pray that the OS hasn't
> changed that much.
>
> This is only 4 years ago - now consider the problems people will have
> in 200 years time trying to make programs written hundreds of years
> ago work.
> - or in 10,000 years time.

Just a friendly reminder that Web standards don't change "just because", but because they were broken in some sort or didn't reflect real world usage in the first place. That's why now DOM and HTML are Living Standards, for example.