[erlang-questions] Issue with process monitor

Felipe Ripoll Gisbert ferigis@REDACTED
Sat Jun 17 22:15:23 CEST 2017

Hi Vimal,

I took I quick look on your code and maybe I am wrong but I see this:
You are calling the method re_add_monitors_if_crashed()  from
myapp_procmon:start_link/0. This function is called by the supervisor
process, for this reason it is attaching the all the monitors to the
supervisor.

You must call that re_add_monitors_if_crashed from the myapp_procmon
process, for example in the init/1 function.

thanks

> Hello List,
>
> I am writing an Erlang application in which the main supervisor spawns a
> child process (let's call it 'Process Monitor' process) which in turn
> monitors the children of another simple-one-for-one supervisor. What I
> notice is, if I deliberately kill this 'Process Monitor', all the monitors
> it had will automatically attach to the main supervisor (even though the
> main supervisor will have no idea how to handle those child processes DOWN
> messages if they arrive later, isn't it??). Is this normal and by design?
>
> Also, since the 'Process Monitor' process is part of the supervision tree,
> it restarts and I coded it in such a way to try to monitor those child
> processes again. Calling erlang:monitor/2 returns the MonitorRef but it
> does not seem to work.
>
> I have made a very small app to show the problem. The code and output is
> available at https://github.com/vimal7370/myapp and it would be great if
> someone can take a quick look at the code, or clone and run it and guide me
> on what I am doing wrong.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Regards,
> Vimal