[erlang-questions] Erlang in healthcare or medical devices?

Nathaniel Waisbrot nathaniel@REDACTED
Sat Jul 8 17:40:59 CEST 2017

> I'm an anesthesiologist/programmer. I'm interested in the programming
> of medical information systems and devices. I have quite recently
> gotten seriously started in Erlang and am quite impressed with the
> system.
>
> I'm interested in working and pursuing research in this area. To get
> started I'm looking for some examples where people have successfully
> used Erlang in this field?

I worked at one company that did healthcare-focused text messaging and we used ejabberd. Reliable delivery despite flakey Internet on mobile devices was key and Erlang was helpful in expressing that constraint.
I was at another where we made a fitness wearable device and used Erlang for the server-side handling of biometric data. The important thing there was to route relatively small amounts of binary data with low latency. That was a pretty obvious fit for Erlang, and matching on binary data in Erlang is always fun.