[erlang-questions] Message send guarantees

Fri Jan 27 08:41:32 CET 2017

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 02:25:49AM +0000, Dmitry Kakurin wrote:
> [...]

Have you changed your question?  Previously the problem was to send
non-proxied messages after proxied messages.

But if B is a message relay (receive Msg -> C ! Msg, loop() end),
and provided the ping/pong is a gen_server call (since the request
contains who should have the reply, then this should also work:
1. A --msg1---> B
2. A --req----> B
3. B --msg1---> C
4. B --req----> C
5. A <--reply-- C
6. A --msg2---> C

> All we need from C is to respond "pong" to "ping" message. In this case A knows msg2 is enqueued after msg1 because A has observed "pong" in response to "ping" that was sent after msg1. The ordering is as desired here.
> Now the only problem I have to solve is: what can be used as a benign message that I can send to any gen_server such that it would reply (to emulate ping/pong exchange above)?
> Looking thru gen_server source code I see that it's processing sys messages. So I can use get_state message as "ping" and response with state as "pong". Except it may not be really benign perf-wise if amount of state kept by C is significant.
> There is also get_status, but I don't understand how it's processed and if I can use it for ping/pong purposes. Can I? Is there a better message?

sys:get_status/1,2 returns much more data including what sys:get_state/1,2
returns, so it is less suitable.

If you know anything more about your gen_server C, it may have some status
quering handle_call that can be used.

Maybe sys:statistics/2 can be good enough.  Mostly no statistics collection is
activated for a given gen_server so you will get just {ok,no_statistics} back
as pong, and if statistics collection should be activated the gen_server
does not much more than process_info(self(), reductions) and erlang:localtime(),
which may and may not be regarded as heavy, but compared to returning the whole
arbitrary gen_server state it may be better.