[erlang-questions] Erlang basic doubts about String, message passing and context switching overhead

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Sat Jan 14 21:12:41 CET 2017

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 11:08 AM, John Doe <donpedrothird@REDACTED> wrote:
>>string:to_upper("hello").
>
> This function works for ASCII only. That's the problem. MICHAł =
> string:to_upper("Michał").

Neither does the string module work on binaries, which I've found
inconvenient. Fortunately you can just use an alternative
function/module.

Sometimes I have to write my own function, which is also inconvenient.

Modifying built-in type behavior (the vaunted Ruby string, but also
Python, etc.) is super extremely inconvenient.