[erlang-questions] Erlang basic doubts about String, message passing and context switching overhead

Benoit Chesneau bchesneau@REDACTED
Sat Jan 14 17:32:33 CET 2017

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 5:23 PM John Doe <donpedrothird@REDACTED> wrote:

> Also as far as I remember icu works with utf16, so any call to icu
> requires encoding binary, which is usually usually utf8, to utf16 and then
> encoding it back to utf8 binary.

ICU is far more portable than even Erlang is, working on very different
platforms and can now be compiled using clang and not only g++. It is
handling Unicode 9 and should work with utf8 also but not sure about the
details.

Anyway not saying it is better or not hence why I was asking for the
reasoning of the Elixir people to come to their solution ;)