[erlang-questions] Future CPUs, NUMA & Erlang

Eric des Courtis eric.des.courtis@REDACTED
Wed Jan 11 17:46:09 CET 2017

Hi Guys,

I am considering fast forwarding into the future and getting a new
workstation with a Knights Landing chip (a Intel® Xeon Phi™ Processor 7210F
or similar CPU
<http://ark.intel.com/products/94709/Intel-Xeon-Phi-Processor-7210F-16GB-1_30-GHz-64-core>)
from the Intel Developer Access Program <http://dap.xeonphi.com/> for
Erlang application development. This chip has 16GB on package with a data
rate of over 400GB/s (100GB/s external memory) and has 64 cores (256
threads). As you can imagine this uses a NUMA architecture but it fully
backwards compatible with a regular Xeon.

So here is my question how ready is the Erlang VM for this type of NUMA
system? What work has been done with NUMA systems and Erlang and does it
apply here? Am I right to jump in now or should I wait?

Cheers.

Eric