[erlang-questions] Erlang crashes when using -name

Pheasant, David T. dpheasant@REDACTED
Tue Jan 10 17:47:24 CET 2017

Hello everyone,

I'm having a very weird issue with erlang that I'm hoping you all may be able to shed some light on. Long story short, we're using a 3rd party product that in turn uses RabbitMQ, which as we all know, uses Erlang. RabbitMQ will not start and I've tracked the issue down to the point where Erlang will start when a short node name is used (-sname rabbit@%computername%), but will not start with a long node name (-name rabbit@%computername%.domain.com<mailto:rabbit@%25computername%25.domain.com>). I've tested forward and reverse lookups of the FQDN via nslookup and the correct address is returned in all cases. I've also put the FQDN and hostname in the hosts file, which did not change the behavior.

When using the long name, the erl.exe process dies immediately and does not print any error messages to the console. When it does die, Windows runs WERFault.exe, shows the familiar "erl.exe has stopped working" message, and creates the following entry in the event log:

Faulting application name: erl.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x52e15856
Faulting module name: MSVCR100.dll, version: 10.0.40219.1, time stamp: 0x4d5f034a
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000003c120
Faulting process id: 0x1344
Faulting application start time: 0x01d26b5c79195ddd
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\runtime\rabbitmq\erlang\bin\erl.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\MSVCR100.dll
Report Id: b6d11c0f-d74f-11e6-80e1-00505607156a
Faulting package full name:

Other pertinent information:

*         Operating system is Windows Server 2012

*         Erlang version is 5.10.4

*         Host is a virtual server (vmware)

*         Host was migrated from on-prem to IaaS service, during which MAC address changed

*         IPv6 is disabled on the network adapter

*         Separate/isolated install of erlang 5.10.4 exhibits same behavior, so this 'feels' like a hardware/OS issue and not software configuration

*         When running EPMD in debug mode and using a short name, I can see erl.exe register. When using a long name, it appears that erl.exe does not attempt to register (or fails).

So, my questions:

*         Has anyone seen this before?

*         If not, what differs in the startup process of erl.exe when a short name is used vs. a long name?

*         Could a change in MAC address have any effect on this?

*         What (if any) checks does erlang do when started with a long name vs short name (DNS wise)?

Thanks in advance for all of your help,

-David