[erlang-questions] setting up a VPS for dedicated erlang server

Michel Boaventura michel.boaventura@REDACTED
Tue Feb 28 18:06:47 CET 2017

I've been using Linode for the past 5 years and never had a problem.
Its smaller plan costs $5 for a VM with 1GB of RAM and if you pay
extra $2 you can have a backup add-on with 4 different slots (daily, 7
days, 14 days and a custom one). My brother-in-law had an awful
experience with Digital Ocean. The physical disk on which his VM was
stored had a problem and he lost all of his data. The solution given
by Digital Ocean was to give him a new (empty) VM.

On 28 February 2017 at 13:28, John Doe <donpedrothird@REDACTED> wrote:
> 512Mb RAM ($5/month or less) is enough to process a few million hits/day if
> you don't have a lot of data in the database. I recommend DigitalOcean and
> OVH vps' to my customers. OS - debian/centos/ubuntu, does not matter much.
> One caveat: assuming you use cowboy, you can't process all these hits in the
> context of webserver processes, because by default there are too many of
> them. You'll need a dedicated pool of 20-100 processes which will do all the
> heavy logic. Also I'd recommend to run gc:collect for all processes every
> 3-4 minutes, this would help to purge large binaries and won't slow down the
> system too much.

>> Hello,
>>
>> I was considering setting up a dedicated Erlang VPS for a small web
>> site with a few simple Erlang applications.
>>
>> I was looking at the various hosting packages - and have to choose
>> the amount of memory I need - any ideas how much resident memory I
>> need to run a smallish server.
>>
>> I guess all I need is an OS + Erlang - what is a suitable choice of
>> OS? - Do i really need GBytes of memory - it sounds a lot to me.
>>
>> Any advice on VPS providers?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> /Joe

Michel Almada de Castro Boaventura