[erlang-questions] Setting up a startup service

asdf asdf codewiget95@REDACTED
Mon Dec 18 23:55:15 CET 2017

Hello all,

I have built an Erlang program and created a release using rebar3 release. To run this program, I use the command:

./_build/default/rel/program/bin/program start

What I would like to do now is have this program start on startup whenever the box boots or whenever the VM crashes. I have to use a RHEL 7 box for this, so I am using systemd. I created a service below:

[Unit]
Description=program
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
User=root
ExecStart=/home/root/repos/program/_build/default/rel/program/bin/program start
Restart=on-abort

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

This doesn’t work however - I get the following output:

Dec 18 17:43:59 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Started program.
Dec 18 17:43:59 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Starting program…

(It is odd that it says “started program” followed by “starting program”…)

Now here is the interesting part - if I switch out “start” with “console” , I get good output - I get the successful start message. But then a crash… :

Dec 18 17:45:40 localhost.localdomain program[14167]: 17:45:40.429 [info] Application program started on node 'program@REDACTED'
Dec 18 17:45:40 localhost.localdomain program[14167]: Eshell V8.2.2  (abort with ^G)
Dec 18 17:45:40 localhost.localdomain program 14167]: (program@REDACTED)1> *** Terminating erlang ('program@REDACTED’)

This crash is expected though, because I tried to start it in console but it was a background process. My point though is that it starts up, but for some unknown reason it is exiting. On top of that, all of the log files in _build/default/rel/program/log are empty, so I’m not getting any valuable info on why it isn’t starting.

And to clarify, I have copy/pasted the ExecStart command from the file to the command line and it works when it is run from the command line, so this isn’t a path issue.

Does anyone have any idea as to what I am doing wrong?

Thank you in advance.