[erlang-questions] Proper way to run C code without crashing the VM

Attila Rajmund Nohl attila.r.nohl@REDACTED
Fri Aug 18 11:51:25 CEST 2017

Hello!

I used to use NIFs a couple of times. These were really simple,
practically a wrapper around a libc call (e.g. realpath(3)). I think
the whole NIF code was less than 100 lines including boilerplate,
copyright message comment, etc. and worked on both Linux and Solaris
(our target platforms). It seemed easier to setup the build process
and bundle the libs with the result than go with an external port. I
think it *is* possible to write this small correct C code, so safety
wasn't really compromised. On the other hand it was also an
opportunity to learn about NIFs :-)