[erlang-questions] Proper way to run C code without crashing the VM

code wiget codewiget95@REDACTED
Wed Aug 16 15:53:04 CEST 2017

Hello,

I have been reading about NIF’s here: http://erlang.org/doc/tutorial/nif.html <http://erlang.org/doc/tutorial/nif.html> but it seems like they are incredibly unsafe: “it is also the least safe, because a crash in a NIF brings the emulator down too”. The problem here is huge, ideally I can’t ever have my Erlang VM close.

What solution do you Erlangers use when you have to run low level code? My goal is to send a sort of “GET” request with a UUID and I will receive back that UUID along with some binary values. My C code works with this, but I can’t jeopardize the entire server crashing.

Thank you for your help!