[erlang-questions] Request for opinions on using process dictionary for meta information

Gianfranco Alongi gianfranco.alongi@REDACTED
Tue Apr 18 11:29:25 CEST 2017

Hi!

It kind of sounds similar to the idea behind gproc, which is a widely used
library,
so as everyone has said already - this is perfectly fine.

https://github.com/uwiger/gproc

Use case: System inspection

Gproc was designed to work as a central index for "process metadata", i.e.
properties that describe the role and characteristics of each process.
Having a single registry that is flexible enough to hold important types of
property makes it easier to (a) find processes of a certain type, and (b)
query and browse key data in a running system.