[erlang-questions] Proposal to remove tuple dispatches from Erlang

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Mon Apr 17 11:01:42 CEST 2017

On 04/14/2017 02:12 PM, José Valim wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to propose to remove "tuple dispatches" from Erlang.
>
> ... <SNIP>
>
> I can think of two strategies for removing the behaviour:
>
> 1. Clean-cut: the code responsible for tuple dispatching will be
> completely removed from the VM and a parse transform will be made
> available. The parse transform could be part of Erlang/OTP or a separate
> repository. ... <SNIP>
>
> 2. New byte codes:

FWIW, I strongly support option #1 above.

I think it's about time that "features" that make Erlang weird get
eliminated from the implementation.  It took me several years to
convince the OTP team that they should eliminate tuple-funs from the
implementation.  They finally did and, unsurprisingly, the world has not
stopped turning, nor did anybody decide to stop using Erlang for what it
is good at, simply because it had no "tuple-funs" any longer.  On the
contrary, I think we have a slightly better language since their
removal.  Similarly, I think it will become slightly better with the
removal of "tuple dispatches".

Anyway, that's my .02.

Kostis