[erlang-questions] Quickcheck'ing a protocol

Josh Adams josh.rubyist@REDACTED
Thu Sep 22 22:37:22 CEST 2016

I have not seen it.  The user forum appears to have zero posts and the
developer forum a handful ending in 2014.  This is not immediately
encouraging :)  Thanks though, will try to dig further :)

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Mark Allen <mrallen1@REDACTED> wrote:

> Josh,
>
> Have you looked at Scribble? http://scribble.org/
>

> On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:45 PM, Josh Adams <
> josh.rubyist@REDACTED> wrote:
>

> So I've been frustrated lately by the fact that Slack's IRC gateway isn't
> RFC 2812 compliant (https://github.com/bitwalker/exirc/issues/51)
>
> In dealing with this I wondered why the crap they needed an engineer to go
> through the spec as a result of their server's response to figure out that
> this was an issue (they've added it to their bug tracker, so I have some
> amount of faith it might get fixed eventually - for now I'll paper over the
> issue in the client which reduces the stress on them to actually fix it
> though).
>
> Should RFCs / protocols of this nature just come with something like a
> quickcheck model for their spec?  Is anyone aware of prior art around this
> sort of thing aside from Quvic/Volvo that I could draw from if I wanted to
> fiddle in this arena?
>
> I'd think that the ideal situation involves an open source quickcheck
> implementation to test a given protocol implementation against at least
> some of the RFC, and a means to run the tests against potential
> servers/clients, with badges potentially showing the percentage of the test
> that passes.  This would allow economics to drive spec implementers towards
> correctness, which would save countless engineer-hours spent figuring out
> why the damn clients can't talk to the damn servers for a given spec.
>
> Thoughts?  Pipe dream?  "Silly child, see A, B, and C for the many people
> who are already doing this?"
>
> --
> Josh Adams

Josh Adams