[erlang-questions] adding maps:merge_nested/2

Vans S vans_163@REDACTED
Sat Nov 12 23:05:48 CET 2016

These days I am working more and more with javascript on the front-end, erlang on the back.  The map type fits really well and is simple.

I usually try to keep my data flat but often this is not the reality.  For example parsing some JSON from the frontend into a map is dead simple, I know I rather just send erlang binary term format, but not everyone has a fully working erlang term serializer for their language.

Also the recent addition of with and without to maps shows that indeed there is a need for more functionality out of maps.

As neoncontrails recently told me, "a list is just a map", let that sink in! Indeed a list is simply a map, with the index being the key.  Its maps, maps all the way down, then more maps.

Another useful function is to diff two maps, but this now I think is indeed beyond scope of the maps module.

Also Haskell style lens or similar to make accessing/updating nested properties would be useful, but again beyond the scope of this merge_nested.

PS. And you know what just happened :)