[erlang-questions] Multi-node setup: Adding nodes with mnesia and gproc?

Oliver Korpilla Oliver.Korpilla@REDACTED
Sun May 29 17:16:37 CEST 2016

Hello, Ulf.

Thanks for the help. I was able to let one node bring up the DB and the tables and the other access them, and I switched the names of distributed processes from node-local to global and the application still works. (I had to turn one direct-call API into RPC but not much more.)

Ironically it already works for something close to an actual setup, but now I have to write a script that brings up all together for interacting with the test anti-product.

WBR,
Oliver

Gesendet: Freitag, 27. Mai 2016 um 16:36 Uhr
Von: "Ulf Wiger" <ulf.wiger@REDACTED>
An: "Oliver Korpilla" <Oliver.Korpilla@REDACTED>
Cc: "erlang questions" <erlang-questions@REDACTED>
Betreff: Re: [erlang-questions] Multi-node setup: Adding nodes with mnesia and gproc?
For the longest time, I’ve viewed the global name registration in gproc as … ‘experimental’, initially because gen_leader had no support for the dynamic adding/removal of nodes.

Later versions of gen_leader have this, but the master branch of gproc is still a bit weak on merging. There is an ‘uw-locks_leader’ branch, which I believe has a better* approach to dynamic node handling and merge scenarios (including conflict resolution support), but it is a little bit behind the master branch. I plan to make that the new default eventually, but the merge was non-trivial, so I’ve put it on ice for the time being.

BR,
Ulf W

* In all fairness, gen_leader is much more battle-tested than locks_leader. That of course means that with gen_leader, you can find out what the known issues are, whereas with locks_leader, you will have to discover them. The latter is of course much more fun!