[erlang-questions] Can Erlang application load from within beam without external storage?

Neeraj Sharma neerajsharma.live@REDACTED
Wed May 25 13:27:33 CEST 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 2:35 PM, Grzegorz Junka <list1@REDACTED> wrote:
> This is what Erlang releases are for! Albeit they don't produce a single
> binary, they are pretty straightforward to be moved around as a single file.

> This produces a single tgz file in tmp/ folder which contains the Erlang VM,
> erts and all required applications (and nothing more). It can be moved to
> any place since all paths used in it are relative. Once moved to the desired
> host/location you unpack, install and run it:
>

> It's build with a normal makefile so bundling Rumprun unikernel to it should
> be a piece of cake.
>
> It's possible to create a single binary with all Erlang applications using
> the technique called escriptize
> http://blog.differentpla.net/blog/2015/10/21/rebar-escriptize but for it to
> work the Erlang runtime has to be already installed on the destination
> system.

This would be useful when taking the second approach (I mentioned
earlier) but it cannot be used to build standalone binary (the first
option) and rolled-into-one bootable image with Rumprun unikernel. The
idea is to run the resulting image directly on hypervisor (say Xen or
KVM) without any storage attached, so the image is self sufficient
with Rumprun unikernel, Erlang VM and the application. At present the
application is read out of storage (specifically an ISO).

Thanks,
-Neeraj