[erlang-questions] Can Erlang application load from within beam without external storage?

Neeraj Sharma neerajsharma.live@REDACTED
Wed May 25 09:31:49 CEST 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 10:45 AM, Sergej Jurečko
<sergej.jurecko@REDACTED> wrote:
> This?
> http://erlang.org/doc/man/code.html#id104826

Interesting piece of information although I am afraid my requirement
was not clear enough, so let me provide some additional details.

My intention is to package Erlang VM, application and its dependencies
(including OTP) into a single blob of binary which can run standalone.
I am at very early stage to evaluate the possibilities here so things
may appear vague at this point. Having said that ideally I'd like to
retain the Erlang shell and given the nature of the build code reload
is not required. I believe there are some projects like erllvm and
Hipe but I dont have clear understanding of the same and wanted to
know existence of any prior work which can be reused. Actually the
single binary will also include the Rumprun unikernel, which at
present is limited to Rumprun and Erlang beam VM, while the rest of
the application (and dependencies) are stored on secondary media.

An alternative path would be to evaluate the feasibility to bundle all
the apps and dependencies as another blob (probably as zip as given in
the link at the top) and a wrapper c code unpacks that into ram disk
recreating the folder structure required by the Erlang VM. Ideally I
would like to dwell on the first option before evaluating this one.

Thanks,
-Neeraj