[erlang-questions] simple_one_for_one supervisor - what happens at restart? (also: gen_tcp)

Chandru chandrashekhar.mullaparthi@REDACTED
Sun May 22 23:10:24 CEST 2016

On 22 May 2016 at 00:25, Ryan Stewart <zzantozz@REDACTED> wrote:

> I think you're still ignoring the ordering guarantees of supervision. If
> "top_sup" supervises [important_server_process, "worker_sup"], and
> "worker_sup" is a simple_one_for_one where you keep your
> transient/temporary workers, then "top_sup" will ensure that
> important_server_process doesn't get the shutdown signal until all workers
> are finished. It may not apply in this specific case, but I've found it
> invaluable.

Sure, it is useful, but I was discussing Oliver's specific question for his
use case. Not the general merits of supervision trees.

Chandru