[erlang-questions] Memory usage increase in OTP-18.2.1

Park, Sungjin jinni.park@REDACTED
Fri May 20 05:18:42 CEST 2016

I found that the memory usage's increased by about 20% when I upgraded
erlang version from otp-r15b03 to otp-18.2.1.  The green line's otp-18.2.1
and the blue line's otp-r15b03 in the attached graph.  The vertical axis is
residential memory used by beam in percentage. The green line starts a bit
higher than the blue.  This is ok but the gap increases as time goes by.

erlang:memory/0 reveals memory usage details.

== otp-r15b03 ==
1> erlang:memory().
[{total,208909800},
 {processes,69473238},
 {processes_used,69388990},
 {system,139436562},
 {atom,924601},
 {atom_used,900928},
 {binary,1066312},
 {code,22978624},
 {ets,5108576}]

== otp-18.2.1 ==
1> erlang:memory().
[{total,250735008},
 {processes,123869144},
 {processes_used,123804656},
 {system,126865864},
 {atom,1033377},
 {atom_used,1000716},
 {binary,6331096},
 {code,29690005},
 {ets,5317136}]

otp-18.2.1 uses about twice as much in processes and 6 times as much in
binary.

The system acts as a reverse proxy that receives http requests and forwards
them to multiple backends.  Nothing very special.

Well, it's still affordable but I want to know that this is the normal
price to pay to keep track of the otp pace.  Or can there possibly be
anything wrong in my code that I have to investigate further?

--
Park, Sungjin