[erlang-questions] erlang:raise/3 considered harmful?

Ryan Stewart zzantozz@REDACTED
Sat May 14 19:03:52 CEST 2016

+1 for "exceptions suck and lead to imperative programming patterns". That
said, I'm still trying to work out the Right Way to do error handling in
Erlang. On a quick scan, I like Garrett's suggestions, although I would
clarify it by saying that like dict:find() vs dict:fetch(), it might be
reasonable for your API to support both a "crash on failure" and a "return
tagged tuple on failure" option. That gives callers more freedom in how
they use your code. To me, this feels like the age-old "checked vs
unchecked" exception problem, and that's all about how you force callers to
interact with your code.