[erlang-questions] Rhetorical structure of code: Anyone interested in collaborating?

Lyn Headley lheadley@REDACTED
Wed May 11 18:18:08 CEST 2016

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 6:17 PM, Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED> wrote:

> The point was basically that while making a transcription of a code
> reader's odyssey through the code might be useful, I don't think it
> is helpful to make the communication channel so narrow.  I think
> that if someone is puzzled and wants help, it is not unreasonable
> to give them the chance to write or speak at least a sentence about
> what they find puzzling.
>
> "I don't understand this syntax" and
> "I thought that function was deprecated"
> can both cause puzzlement, and at the same place.

I guess you missed this, so I'll repeat myself:

"Express puzzlement is a bit lazy on youth's part, so before submitting
her question youth may annotate this event with language."

You are imagining the channel I proposed as more narrow than I am.

But I also don't want to overwhelm the elder. Following every move on
a video channel is probably too much work for the elder. So that's
something to balance: poverty of channel semantics would be bad, but
so would information overload.

-Lyn