[erlang-questions] Wanted additions to the maps module?

zxq9 zxq9@REDACTED
Mon May 9 14:54:12 CEST 2016

On Monday 09 May 2016 13:36:29 Graham Hay wrote:

> > "next" implies a "previous" and that implies an ordering -- and that
> > ordering seems like it should mean something (or, in other words, be
> > consistent). Or... what am I missing?
>

> I think the point is that you shouldn't rely on the order, as it as an
> implementation detail and subject to change.

That's my whole point. Why the desire for a next/1 and previous/1 instead of
a list-style operation over the map as a whole, since outside of an abstract
sense of "doing something with each element" there is nothing interesting
that can possibly be gained from introducing an implicit concept of order?

> JS object properties are similar:
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Statements/for...in

In other news, it is hard to take JS seriously as a source of inspiration
for useful language constructs. It is a great place to take inspiration from
people beating the odds to get actual work done in a totally insane world,
though.