[erlang-questions] Wanted additions to the maps module?

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Tue May 3 03:02:01 CEST 2016

On 05/02/2016 08:59 AM, Jacob wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just came across the point where I wished there was a merge/3 function
> like in dict/ordict:
>
>    merge(Fun, Map1, Map2) -> Map3

I agree that it is very helpful to have the same interface as the dict module (it is unfortunate that the maps module is unable to provide the same dict interface, since that makes Erlang data structure usage more complex than it needs to be, with no justification (I understand the intent was likely to discourage doing things that are inefficient)).  The maps merge function was discussed in the past at http://erlang.2086793.n4.nabble.com/Merging-maps-with-a-fun-like-dict-merge-3-td4713590.html with the thread preferring:

merge1(Fun, Map1, Map2) ->
     maps:merge(Map1, maps:map(fun(K, V2) ->
         case maps:find(K, Map1) of
             {ok, V1} ->
                 Fun(K, V1, V2);
             error ->
                 V2
         end
     end, Map2)).

The maps:merge/3 function can also be implemented using the new maps:update_with/4 function (in the git repo, from https://github.com/erlang/otp/pull/1025 ) which is based on the dict:merge/3 documentation (http://erlang.org/doc/man/dict.html#merge-3):

merge2(Fun, Map1, Map2) ->
     maps:fold(fun (K, V1, Map) ->
                   maps:update_with(K, fun (V2) -> Fun(K, V1, V2) end, V1, Map)
               end, Map2, Map1).