[erlang-questions] Rhetorical structure of code: Anyone interested in collaborating?

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Mon May 2 02:28:47 CEST 2016

On 29/04/16 7:47 PM, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:

> There are already tools experimenting with such ways of structuring
> code. For example, Eclipse has Mylyn which can provide a filtered view
> of the code  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Task-focused_interface),
> hiding aspects that are currently irrelevant. CodeBubbles
> (http://cs.brown.edu/~spr/codebubbles/
> <http://cs.brown.edu/%7Espr/codebubbles/>) tries a non-linear editing
> experience where you can see dependencies explicitly.

I had a fairly brief look at CodeBubbles.  The set-up guide calls it
"alpha" and "version 0.50"
and has a copyright date of 2010.  The codebubbles Wiki doesn't seem to
have been updated
for quite a few years.  It may be that CodeBubbles itself is more up to
date, but
it's a bit worrying when the documentation isn't.  I am deeply unhappy
about anything that
requires Eclipse.  I have no trouble with Xcode or NetBeans, but find
trying to get even Hello
World going dauntingly complex in Eclipse.  I also read through the
tutorial, and saw very little
that I wasn't already familiar with in Smalltalk.  The tutorial says
that it shows relationships
"between BUBBLES" and refers to "CALLS".

For what it's worth, Smalltalk is precisely where my "why can't I see
the structure" journey
started and what the annotations I've been working on were developed
for.  Let's face it,
an IDE cannot display information it has not been told about.

Can you explain what relationships CodeBubbles displays?