[erlang-questions] [ANN] Positive version 13.3.7

Andrew Berman rexxe98@REDACTED
Sat Mar 26 20:53:43 CET 2016

Geez, I can't believe it's an issue that we're making fun of what happened
or about the JavaScript language.  Oh, the horror.  One thing no one has
mentioned is that the reason there is a library like left pad for JS is
because JS has to deal with size constraints.  Erlang doesn't have that
issue.  JS is used on the front-end, so forcing a client to download
unnecessary code is a no-no, especially on mobile devices.

JavaScript is a language in a state of change right now.  They're turning a
browser language into a server one and they're figuring it out.  They'll
fix the issues and they'll come out on top, but really services like Github
are to blame for npm-gate.

I come from the Java world.  What I love about the Java world is that we
have Apache (and Spring and JBoss) that I can pretty much trust.  They have
the commons libraries, for example, which are a group of useful utilities
that prevent me from having to constantly rewrite the same methods over and
over (and left pad is a method within one).  I really wish Erlang and
Javascript had some foundation like Apache that I could trust and that
doesn't just accept any random library.  We're missing the filter!  It's
just not there (or maybe they're not advertising themselves well).  I don't
trust the code written by some random guy on Github, which is usually just
abandoned (I am guilty of this as well).  Github is good for what it is,
but come on, not everyone is a great programmer and I don't know who is or
who isn't based on their Github repo, and I don't have time to muck through
their code.  I just want to get what I want and not have to worry about
it.  So when Apache (or JBoss or Spring) releases something, I can
certainly feel more confident in the release and that it's going to be
supported in some fashion.

We're a group of really smart people, so instead of wasting time on
discussing the merits of a joke (which I thought was awesome, I mean, go
look at the issues in the repo!), we should be looking at this as a
learning experience and helping our community grow and prosper.  If I was
to ask you which JSON library to use, why is it that I'd get different
answers?  It's crazy.  I just want one which I know is going to work and be
supported.  I know Garret talked about this in one of his talks as a reason
for why Erlang is not widely used.

Rant over,

Andrew