[erlang-questions] pre-load large data files when the application start

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Sat Mar 26 16:53:41 CET 2016

On 03/26/2016 04:37 PM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 10:31 AM Roger Lipscombe <roger@REDACTED
> <mailto:roger@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>     Is it the .erl -> .beam compilation step that runs out of memory? What
>     happens if you use compile:forms/1,2 instead? Maybe you can write a
>     relatively simple escript that turns your CSV into forms and compiles
>     those (and then writes out the beam file)? See, for example, a script
>     we use to embed binary resources as beam files:
>     https://gist.github.com/rlipscombe/770ce8fc75add11e16f1
>
>     On 25 March 2016 at 22:32, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@REDACTED
>     <mailto:bchesneau@REDACTED>> wrote:
>      >
>      >
>      > On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 11:19 PM Michael Truog <mjtruog@REDACTED
>     <mailto:mjtruog@REDACTED>> wrote:
>      >>
>      >> On 03/25/2016 02:33 PM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
>      >>
>      >>
>      >>
>      >> On Friday, March 25, 2016, Michael Truog <mjtruog@REDACTED
>     <mailto:mjtruog@REDACTED>> wrote:
>      >>>
>      >>>
>      >>> Having the build process generate the module file and the beam
>     file seems
>      >>> decent.  There isn't a need to build the module dynamically
>     (during runtime,
>      >>> upon startup) or store the unicode data in global storage due
>     to the unicode
>      >>> changes being infrequent.   Then, if you do need to update due
>     to unicode
>      >>> changes, you can always hot-load a new version of the module,
>     during runtime
>      >>> and the usage of the module shouldn't have problems with that,
>     if it is kept
>      >>> as a simple utility/library module.  This problem reminds me of
>     the code at
>      >>> https://github.com/rambocoder/unistring and there might be
>     overlap in the
>      >>> goals of these two repositories.
>      >>
>      >>
>      >>
>      >> this is what the current release (1.2) does. But it doesn't
>     compile in
>      >> containers or machines =< 1GB. The build crash. This is why i'm
>     looking at
>      >> shipping a pre-compiled beam. or maybe include the data in a db.
>     but for now
>      >> my tests with a db file (ets) shows it's really slower 30-40ms
>     vs 6ms using
>      >> maps and a pre-compiled beam. Also maps use less storage
>     compared to simply
>      >> using function pattern matching in the beam.
>      >>
>      >> - benoît
>      >>
>      >> I think you need to switch to using function pattern matching, when
>      >> keeping it in a module to keep memory usage down.  Storing
> [...]

If you follow his advice of writing an escript, then adding support for
Erlang.mk should just be a matter of adding

   app:: ; escript my_escript.erl
   BEAM_FILES += ebin/generated.beam

before the include erlang.mk line. If that's not enough, ping me,
because it's probably a bug.

Same also works with any other command or script.

Alternatively if you do it directly in the Makefile, same advice, except
replace the first line with:

   app:: gen
   BEAM_FILES += ebin/generated.beam

And then define the gen target (before, after, doesn't matter). You
could then have rebar just call "make gen".

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu