[erlang-questions] [ANN] Positive version 13.3.7

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Fri Mar 25 23:41:10 CET 2016

I used to run a Java PaaS. A client had major growth every Jan 1 - the New
Year would literally trigger a 2x factor in subscriptions.

So every Jan 1, while the rest of the western world enjoyed time off with
family, I fought fires in trying to keep this client's services afloat
during the onslaught.

When we wanted to understand a performance problem in the code, we'd inject
some debug statements, or instrumentation - cut a release, redeploy. With
some data we'd try to understand the problem, fix, redeploy, rinse, repeat.

If you've ever deployed a debug version of your application in the middle
of an outage, you have some appreciation for the pain I felt. On a holiday.
With people demanding when I'd come down for dinner.

As a human, you remember these moments. You remember the details - every
little technical detail. They draw the line between your happiness and your
hell.

The moral of the story is, if you don't have these problems, don't worry
about Erlang.

The Erlang VM lets you poke inside a running app to see what's broken - and
fix it without stopping. The Erlang language has features that exploit
this. OTP adds further features. These have been exercised in production
for more than a decade. That's enough time to get things working.

If finding the right language for your corporate culture is the actual
problem, then move Erlang off the board. It's just too fringe. Too hard to
find developers. Too controversial.

If you have other actual problems, Erlang might prove useful.

For my part, I'll never put a back-end system into production that's not
written in Erlang, unless there's a good technical reason. And there
certainly may be. But Erlang is my starting point, on its merits. And I'm
not saying every part of a back end system is running in an Erlang VM.
That's crazy and no one does that. But if you're writing software that runs
on a server - and you care about it running and working - what are your
options?

Seriously. PHP? Node? Go? Ruby? JBoss? Forth? K?

Culture and history matter in technology. And Erlang has a long history of
operational engineering discipline. If that doesn't matter, it might not be
a fit.

Okay, you run stuff in production, so how to get started? Find a subsystem
that's trivial to implement, but important to get right. Build that in
Erlang. It should take a few weeks. If your experience is awful, what have
you lost? If it's good, you've opened a path to a way of building and
running software.

But the problems have to be real.

Oh, and apologies if this comes across as elite. I'm actually just an
average guy who wants to have a New Year's meal with his family. True story.