[erlang-questions] Beginner trying to figure out idiomatic OTP architecture

Matthew Shapiro me@REDACTED
Thu Mar 24 03:02:46 CET 2016

Thank you very much,  Ranch, gproc, and syn seem like perfect frameworks to
handle those portions of it and simplifies a lot of things (though I need
to do some research to figure out the difference between gproc and syn).
So that solves those issues, well although it looks like I will have to
jump through some hoops to get Ranch working on Windows.

In regards to the channel per process vs not, I think my mind went to that
idea due to knowing that in normal IRC servers channels have other
particular aspects to them (such as titles and modes, etc...) and I guess
those aspects made my mental model lean towards channels as individual
processes (even though I admit those features aren't part of my
requirements since this is just to get my feet wet).

While I haven't gotten to clustering stuff in Erlang yet, my idea was to
guarantee that if a netsplit occurs you can communicate with user in your
channels that are connected to the same node as you are in.  I don't know
yet if that changes the architecture at all but in my mind I'm not sure if
it does (channel manager/channel processes would just relay the messages to
the other nodes).

Anyways, some pretty interesting and enlightining things to think about