[erlang-questions] Dialyzer type specifications for macros with bitstrings makes erlc barf

Sachin Panemangalore spanemangalore@REDACTED
Fri Mar 18 19:22:43 CET 2016

Thanks a lot Craig
Amazing , detailed information . However I do feel there is an
inconsistency in the behavior of erlang compiler vs dialyzer.
Inconsistencies
=============
1. Although a type-spec doesn't allow you to specify a  "set" of objects,
it lets us specify a set of integers e.g 0..12  etc.
2. You can specify definitions as bitstring() or string()  instead of a set
of values, but dialyzer complains that the return type
     is a super-type of the set of values being returned .

Erlang has a powerful pattern matcher, hence potentially we can afford to
return sets of arbitrary unique objects from functions ,
hence we do need the ability to specify a unique set of any data-type , e.g
strings, bitstrings, tuples .
just my opinion, thanks again for the help!.
Regards
sachin