[erlang-questions] Erlang Syntax and "Patterns" (Again)

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Thu Mar 17 04:28:39 CET 2016

On 17/03/16 2:26 pm, Loïc Hoguin wrote:

>  Erlang is unfamiliar because it's a concurrent environment.

I sometimes think you don't appreciate Erlang until you've struggled
with concurrency
yourself.  Last week I was working on some notes for a course I'm
teaching next
semester, and needed a concurrent component with a certain interface.  I
struggled
for two *days* trying to make it work.  I learned more GDB commands than
I ever
wished to learn.  Eventually I got there.  To make sure I wasn't crazy,
along the
way I implemented in Erlang: 24 line module, 10 line core, first thing I
thought of
worked, and it was *obviously* right.  I keep on having this kind of
experience.

There are all sorts of things where I'd rather use some other language
than Erlang,
but for concurrency, give me Erlang every time.