[erlang-questions] Embedded vs Interactive - Why embedded?

Ryan zzantozz@REDACTED
Fri Mar 11 01:02:29 CET 2016

On 03/10/2016 05:53 PM, Michael Truog wrote:
> On 03/10/2016 01:39 PM, Ryan wrote:
>> On 03/10/2016 02:43 PM, Michael Truog wrote:
>>> The embedded/interactive functionality really is focused on module
>>> mentioned initialization and configuration source code, due to how this
>>> fail-fast concept can be applied to source code.  While it may seem that
>>> the embedded/interactive choice is not an important one, with execution
>>> generally happening in the same way, it can be important due to some
>>> code paths being infrequent and problems with the dependencies like
>>> modules with the same name (and unfortunately sometimes it then depends
>>> on the search directory order, which can lead to problems during
>>> execution that are counter-intuitive).
>>>
>> I can totally understand the "modules with same name" problem, being
>> from a Java background, where the same problem happens with class
>> names. In this thread, a fellow named Max Lapshin indicated that he's
>> using interactive mode and loading all modules at startup. Do you
>> think that doing that would meet this concern of yours, assuming that
>> during loading, one could detect if there were multiple modules of the
>> same name on the code path? I'm not sure how to do that, but surely
>> there's a way.
>
> I only believe interactive mode should be used when using the Erlang
> shell manually, or when running CT tests or eunit tests.  This is to
> make sure everything is fail-fast.  I understand you are concerned with
> concrete justification of that, which I will have below. Dealing with
> modules that have the same name is something that should be
> automatically caught when a release is built, but there are probably
> situations when that doesn't happen.  At the very least release creation
> should fail when seeing the same application in separate paths, during
> an attempt to build the release.  So it should be easy to see that
> release creation helps avoid errors, instead of haphazard loading of
> modules randomly (due to the function call path) with interactive mode.
>

>>> I meant using interactive mode for manual usage of the Erlang shell, not
>>> real testing of a release.  Only using interactive mode for development
>>> testing of random segments of Erlang source code.  Even that usage of
>>> interactive mode can be problematic due to the undocumented differences
>>> between the Erlang shell execution and normal Erlang module execution.
>>> So, all releases for testing and production should be real releases
>>> running in embedded mode.  The interactive mode just helps you quickly
>>> use the Erlang shell to check stuff.
>>>
>> I think this gets to the heart of what I'm trying to figure out: are
>> there "undocumented differences" between interactive and embedded mode
>> that are going to affect a long-running, production deployment? I'm
>> assuming that what you refer to as "normal Erlang module execution" is
>> embedded mode, and that's what this thread is all about. Why is
>> embedded mode considered "normal"? Why can't we just run interactive
> [...]
I hear what you're saying, and I need to think about it for a little
while. My one thought right now is that the whole "fail fast on load"
thing can still be achieved in interactive mode if you manually ensure
all modules are loaded at startup. You don't need the full release and
embedded mode to do that.