[erlang-questions] Proposal: add lists:intersperse/2 and lists:intercalate/2

Mon Mar 7 16:27:30 CET 2016

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Garrett Smith <g@REDACTED> wrote:

> It's vague, as is intercalculate, but as it's superficially doing what
> string "join" does with chars has some precedence within Erlang. I wouldn't
> call it hopeless.

I'm probably leaning away from using 'join' at this point, since 'join'
already have type

join :: Monad M => m (m a) -> m a

so from an FP perspective, that name is highly confusing since it is in use
in monadic context and is used to join monadic data into its own monadic
context. For a list, join is essentially 'append':

Prelude Control.Monad> join ["a", "b", "c"]
"abc"

But join is monadic, so `join $ Just Nothing` evaluates to `Nothing`.

I mean, C++ also uses the word Functor, but they know jack shit about what
that means mathematically. And almost every language knows jack shit about
what join really is either :)

--
J.