[erlang-questions] HTML/CSS/Javascript in Erlang docs and Common Test

zxq9 zxq9@REDACTED
Wed Mar 2 13:58:31 CET 2016

On Wednesday 02 March 2016 12:38:52 Ali Sabil wrote:
> Thank you for bringing this up. An improvement to the presentation of the
> Erlang documentation is very much needed.
>
> I have started looking at this myself sometime ago, here is what I gathered:
>     • The OTP documentation is using erl_docgen which is mostly XSLT based
>     • Edoc is not that much used in OTP, the applications that do rely on
> it, use a custom layout (otpsgml_layout) to generate output that can be
> consumed by erl_docgen.
>     • Experimented with adding a modern HTML5 output to erl_docgen here:
> https://github.com/asabil/otp/tree/feature/html5-docs but this proved
> itself challenging.
>     • Started working on a modern doclet for edoc, based on the ex_doc
> layout: https://bitbucket.org/asabil/edoc-modern

Hi Ali,

I ran into the exact same thing and concluded it would be easier to treat
rendered docs as their own data source rather than try to decobble all the
mix-and-match that exists within the OTP sources themselves (though the
*right* approach would be to actually make the docs across OTP uniform --
I felt this would be futile to even attempt alone and unsupported, who has
that much (un)paid time on their hands?).

Tricky, to say the least.

-Craig