[erlang-questions] Accessing A Binary as an Array of Floats/Doubles Within a NIF

Sverker Eriksson sverker.eriksson@REDACTED
Mon Jun 20 21:50:58 CEST 2016

If you use <<1.0/float-native>>
then it's just type cast to a 'double' pointer:

double* my_array;

my_array = (double*) Bin.data;

printf("%lf", my_array[0]);

Default byte order is 'float-big', which will not work on little endian
machines (x86).

Depending on architecture you also might have to ensure 8 byte alignment.
x86 will accept unaligned floats but the performance may suffer.

/Sverker, Erlang/OTP