[erlang-questions] Updating Myths of Erlang Performance

Björn Gustavsson bjorn@REDACTED
Mon Jun 6 11:21:42 CEST 2016

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I realise now that I should have linked to the current version of the
myths. Here is the link a little bit late:

http://erlang.org/doc/efficiency_guide/myths.html

Based on the feedback, my current plan is that updated myths should be
like this:

1.  Myth: Tail-Recursive Functions are Much Faster Than Recursive Functions

(Updated inspired by Fred's feedback, probably downplaying the
technical details in the original text.)

2. Myth: Operator "++" is Always Bad

3. Myth: Strings are Slow

(Updated with some more text inspired by Joe's feedback.)

4. Myth: Repairing a Dets File is Very Slow

5. Myth: BEAM is a Stack-Based Byte-Code Virtual Machine (and Therefore Slow)

6. Myth: Use "_" to Speed Up Your Program When a Variable is Not Used

(Generalised to any trivial transformation of the source code inspired
by Joe's example.)

7. Myth: NIFs Always Speeds Up Your Application

(New, suggested by Max Lapshin.)

I might not have time to do the updates for OTP 19; it might appear
have to wait to 19.1.

/Björn